Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Holy Spirit

I was thinking last night (in a determinedly night-ish way, which involves many obscure and seemingly random trajectories of thought), about myself. This is not unusual, if slightly self-absorbed. For some reason, my mind brought up a memory of someone calling me strange, or abnormal. Immediately (as my mind does), I conjured up a hypothetical scenario in which someone had just called me abnormal, and I responded:

‘I’m not abnormal. I’m more normal than everyone else. I’m the epitome of normal, and everyone tries to be normal together. For instance, you probably just thought what I just said was abnormal, but I’m sure most of you would think exactly the same thing in my position, some consciously, and others unconsciously, except the only difference is that since you are all conformed to this ideal of ‘normality’, that you are all too afraid to speak it. Therefore, I am superiorly normal, because I convey what is actually normal about all of us, while you all keep it in for a façade of normality. I guess, that very statement was something else you could call ‘abnormal’, but it is merely another example of my argument.’

Being very pleased with myself at coming up with something so profound, it took me a while to realize that I had contorted the meaning of ‘normal’ into something akin to ‘logical’ or ‘ideal’. In any case, the thought sparked off a seemingly random trajectory of thought about being able to capture all these moments of ‘brilliant’ thought for use in later life when I needed them. But then I thought, who can tell which of the thoughts I have are actually brilliant? So I thought perhaps there should be a system that tapes all the thoughts of the mind for later review. Ignoring the logical impracticality of such an idea, my mind went further, dreaming of capturing every single moment of life, both my inner thought, and external speech and hearing. Then of course, it hit me: it would all need to be saved in some massive program that could bring it back to you exactly when you needed it. I mean, if you got into some situation, you weren’t going to go sifting through every single thing that ever happened in your life for some fragment of an answer. So the program would need to be able to understand your situation, do a keyword search or something, and then bring back to mind some thought or previously heard message to enable you to cope with the situation, or answer the tough question, or whatever.

Then I laughed at myself. Because isn’t this what the Holy Spirit does for us? Convicts us, helps us, comforts us, directs us? Here I was, trying to think of some brilliant program which could have infinite value for everyone, and we have it already! We are just not using it to its fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment