Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ezekiel 39:21

Ezekiel 39 finishes off the prophecy concerning Gog and Magog, with the complete destruction of the armies of Gog (and their burial over 7 months!). After this, God tells Ezekiel that Israel will be (again) restored to the land. This I think refers to the last days, because I don’t think there was any destruction of huge nations before they were restored to the land the first time. Or seven month burials, for that matter. The verse that struck me was:

I will set My glory among the nations; all the nations shall see My judgment which I have executed, and My hand which I have laid on them.’ (Ezekiel 39:21)

Sometimes we separate the ‘modern’ God, and the ‘Old Testament’ God, between a God who loves and a God that judges. In fact I saw this delineation yesterday in a film. But we must see that these are one and the same – without judging, there is no loving. Surely God setting His glory among the nations is a loving act? Who are we to see God’s glory? And yet He assures us that He will set His glory among us so that we can see it first hand. But this is done through judgment (in this case). Always be slow to listen to those who say that God doesn’t judge any more, that God seeks only love and harmony, and that God’s glory is fully revealed in His mercy and kindness. Although this passage is in the Old Testament, it speaks of a time in our own future. And anyway, God doesn’t change.

No comments:

Post a Comment