Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ezekiel 36:22,26-27

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes and you will keep My judgments and do them.’ (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

Does this sound like it should be a New Testament passage? It sounded so to me. But then, this is another reminder that God does not change. His methods may have changed, or His covenant with us moreso, but He will never change, and neither do His standards.

Here He is talking to Israel, who He has just described as impure and unclean, wholly repugnant, and a people who have profaned His name not only amongst themselves, but everywhere they are taken captive as well. The next thing He says is that He will take them out of all the countries they’ve been taken captive to and bring them back to their own land. And that He will bless them, and give them a new heart and a new spirit. Why? Humanly speaking, it sounds very odd that God would do that right after acknowledging their position.

Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “I do not do this for your sake, O house of Israel, but for My holy name’s sake which you have profaned among the nations wherever you went.’ (Ezekiel 36:22)

There’s a good reason for God to do this, a better than good reason. He wants Himself to be glorified on Earth. And He knows the best way to go about that.

Do not take for granted the grace that has been extended to you by our loving God. We know our own position. Probably worse then the Israelites. And yet if you are a Christian then already God has put a new spirit in you. For HIS SAKE.

To God be the Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment