Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Isaiah 13:3

Isaiah 13 was quite hard to understand. Ultimately it is about the destruction of Babylon, which would not happen until the last days. But it also has references to the immediate future of the time, where the Medes would capture Babylon and do great violence. The context of my main verse I believe is in reference to the last days for it seems to be talking about the utter destruction of Babylon which still hasn’t happened (according to Revelations).

God says:
I have commanded My sanctified ones;
I have also called My mighty ones for My anger –
Those who rejoice in My exaltation.’ (Isaiah 13:3)

These are the people that God ‘musters the army for battle’ (Isaiah 13:4). These are the people that come in the last days for the ultimate destruction of Babylon.

In any case, it challenges us to be the same. We need to be those who ‘rejoice in His exaltation’. What does this mean? This means that we should be very happy, joyful, when God is put up high. And conversely, saddened immensely when God is ridiculed or brought low by someone’s actions or words. We should be active seekers to ‘lift Jesus higher’, as the old kids’ song goes.

This means watching our own words and actions constantly to be sure that everything we do and say represents God rightly. This is a lifelong battle or struggle that God helps us win.

No comments:

Post a Comment