Monday, July 20, 2009

ROMANS 1:8-15 ‘Desire to Visit Rome’

TEXT

‘First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world’ (Romans 1:8)

  • why thank God through Christ?
  • Faith spoken of throughout world – this was good both tactically as Rome was the centre of the known world, and as a mentor, Paul would have loved it as well!

‘For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,’ (Romans 1:9)

  • serves with his spirit? What does this imply?
  • Dedication to the Romans…why? Without ceasing he makes mention of them in his prayers…that is a lot!

‘Making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.’ (Romans 1:10)

  • wants to go to them but abides in the will of God and for this reason, Romans was written!

‘For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established—‘ (Romans 1:11)

  • The gospel establishes the already believing church. How much do we need to go back to the gospel, the true gospel, and understand it!

‘that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.’ (Romans 1:12)

  • he is not an ‘overlord’ of them, but rather wants to grow with them.

‘Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles. I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise. So, as much as is in me, [I am] ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also.’ (Romans 1:13-15)

  • Paul makes the point that he must take the gospel to everyone – gentile, Greek, non-Greek, wise, unwise etc. He is indebted to all of these, not because they had done anything for him, but because Christ had.

SUMMARY

Paul continues to elucidate his purpose for the letter, stating he would go there if he could, but since he can’t he will write this letter of the gospel to ‘establish’ them. This implies the gospel is for believers and non-believers. Also shows his personal dedication to them, which is a major part of his ministry!

WHAT DO I LEARN?

Need to be absolutely devoted to those I try to reach – interested in their actual person. I should not care what status they have, what they look like, where they’re from. Also, I need the gospel still!

No comments:

Post a Comment